Translate

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

New Cross-Stitch Project

I used to do a fair bit of cross-stitch. One of my pieces even won a first place at the Chilliwack Exhibition in 1993. I don't believe I've done any cross-stitch at all in the past decade though. My passion for other fiber arts has left little time for this less creative, yet enjoyable and relaxing, hobby.

I say "less creative" because I find it very much like paint by number except with thread and needle. I don't have to draw the picture or choose the colours. I just place all those little stitches exactly where the charts tell me to using exactly the colours specified. Still, it is not without some measure of skill. Those thousands of tiny stitches do still have to be correctly formed and done with care and neatness.

Although I may find cross-stitch less of a creative challenge than some of the other things I do, it is still very relaxing and somewhat addicting in nature, and results in a spectacularly beautiful end product.

I've been admiring this particular kit for years now. I have seen it often in the Mary Maxim catalogue. When I saw it recently in a local department store, and for a reasonable price, I just couldn't resist its lure any longer. I thought I would put it away for "some day", but despite all the other things I have on the go right now, this little bit of pleasure snuck to the top of my list.....at least for a while. I put no time limit on these kinds of things. It could be years before I actually complete it.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I have been working on a cross-stitch pattern since 2001. Every few years I'll pull it out and do a section or two. You're right - it's not creatively challenging, but it requires a satisfying level of focus and precision - a state of sort of relaxed concentration.

Jane said...

I've started feeling the same about cross stitch, but I managed to collect so many kits and I am determined to get them stitched! This piece does look beautiful

Nancy said...

After my years of doing counted cross stitch, though, following a knitting chart was easy-peasy.

Anonymous said...

I agree, cross stitch (or any form of needlepoint) is very addicting...
http://www.stitchopedia.com
An encyclopedia of needlepoint stitches…

Maggie Ann said...

Wow this is pretty! You make me feel like digging my several projects out of where ever I've hidden them. Cross-stitch to me is an artform and so relaxing...well untill I get the counting confused anyway. They are beauties though, no doubt about it. But...I'm plying my singles and loving it right now.