Translate

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Cabernet Infinity Scarf

This one has been a long time in the making simply because I only picked it up occasionally. I've been doing more sewing and weaving lately than I have knitting.

This is the Cabernet Infinity Scarf from the pattern by Monika Sirna  I started it way back in January.

Knitted Cowl

The fact that it matches the Saori hat was unintentional and just a bonus.

Saori hat and knitted cowl

I just have to say that I'm not all that impressed with the yarn I used. In the skein it was deliciously soft and a bright royal blue that I was in love with -- BUT --

Bleeding dye
  • It split like crazy while being knit.
  • The high silk content meant that wisps of it clung to, and snagged on, the dry spots on my fingers while I was knitting.
  • The dye tinted my hands blue while I was knitting.
  • And a LOT of dye came out of the finished article when I did it's wet finishing!
  • The colour was visibly duller after wet finishing.
The yarn was Knitpicks Diadem Solid in the Sapphire colourway. Interesting that that particular colourway is no longer available. Maybe the dye problem was limited to only that colour? I still won't be buying any more though. The splitting and fuzzing was annoying enough alone, without the additional annoyance of the blue dye bleeding.

3 comments:

Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

What a gorgeous blue! :)

Mokki said...

Its a bad sign when the dye comes off on your fingers. I love what you made with it though.

Marlene said...

Ruinwen, the colour PRIOR to washing was like the first picture (that one has been 'adjusted' by my camera), the colour after washing was duller, more like the second picture. It's still a pretty blue, just not as vibrant as it had been.
Yes, Mokki, a very bad sign. I'm glad I didn't make clothing from my ball jointed dolls from it!