Translate

Monday, May 11, 2015

Not What I'd Hoped

Over the weekend I made two hats. The first was a huge disappointment.


Not that it turned out poorly or anything. The sewing actually went quite well. (Pattern is "Hip-Hop Hat with Visor" from "Happy Hats and Cool Caps" by Anne-Mette Hermansen and Tina Elnef.)


It's not that it didn't fit my huge pumpkin of a noggin' either (23 1/4" - 23 1/2" depending on how closely cut my hair is), because the fit was perfect.


No, like so many other hats I've tried on over the years (purchased or handmade) it just looked dorky on me.  (sigh)  Luckily Heddie doesn't mind wearing it. She says it keeps the dust off her wig as she sits in the corner of my sewing room.

But, as I said, I made TWO hats. I'll show you the second one tomorrow.

6 comments:

Gene Black said...

So would you recommend this book?

Marlene said...

Absolutley Gene. It's a GREAT book and every style has a wide range of sizes (well except the baby bonnet but I'm guessing you don't want to wear one of those?). It's available on Amazon.com for $.01 <-- that's not a typo. It really is only one penny, plus shipping of course but even that is reasonable. If you buy a second hand book make sure the pattern sheet is there. It's a large, loose folded sheet.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1579900267/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=

Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

I'm sorry it doesn't mesh with your idea of a hat; I think it is quite amazing. :)

Marlene said...

Oh it's not that I don't love the style of this hat, Ruinwen, I love the style. It just looks terrible on ME.

Gene Black said...

I ordered the book. But it did not say if the pattern sheet is with it or not. I may have goofed.

Marlene said...

I don't think so Gene. If the sheet isn't included, even if the book is sold as "used", it still would be expected to be "complete" unless stated otherwise. If it arrives and doesn't include the pattern sheet, request a refund.