Translate

Friday, August 26, 2016

Oh Happy Day!

It wasn't until 9pm, but we did get the loom assembled and I even managed to weave an inch or so before bed.

Assembled and weaving.


I love, love, LOVE this loom! She's so sturdy and beautiful and the mechanics of it are so nicely thought out. It was hard going to bed last night knowing I wouldn't have a chance to weave again until around noon today. I woke up at 4am just itching to get back at it but had to restrain myself so as not to disturb my sleeping husband.

Yesterday was a fabulous day for me. I mean absolutely FABulous. First off I got this lovely little loom and I'm so, so happy with it, but that wasn't all. A large part of my day was spent at an eye surgery centre having tests done. How is that fabulous? After all the testing was done I learned that I qualify for Lasik eye surgery! Squeeee!

The actual surgery will be scheduled for near the end of September. For the first time since I was about 7 years old I won't have to wear glasses or contact lenses for distance vision. I'll still have to wear reading glasses for close up work, but that's better than having to wear glasses ALL the time. For me it's not at all about vanity. It's all those little, annoying things about wearing glasses. For instance, I'll be able to walk the dog in the rain without wishing my glasses came with windshield wipers.

Yesterday was such a great day that I was practically bouncing in my seat with excitement. A new loom AND some great news.

5 comments:

Joanne@ Desertmountainbear said...

Great news about the eyes. I never needed glasses till I hit 40. Now I need them for near and for all the middle distance. I hate them. It will be so nice for you just to have reading glasses.
I love the loom. I know weaving is something I would love. I love all the fiber arts. Someday.....

MarthaVA said...

I knew you'd love that loom. It actually takes less floor space than the X looms. I can see many beautiful weavings in your future.
Is the surgery you're having also to remove cataracts? That's the surgery I will need soon, but it's expensive to have the lenses I want due to astigmatism.
Enjoy!
Martha.

Marlene said...

Joanne I may be trading one difficulty for another with that. Correction with surgery is a lot like correction with contact lenses. When the surgeon corrects for the distance vision I will lose my naturally good close up vision. When I say "close up", I do mean extreme close up though. Right now I can see VERY clearly from about 4.5" to 6" from the end of my nose. Everything beyond that gets blurry, and quite rapidly. Up until about 52 years of age I could also see quite clearly starting at about the end of my nose but age has now robbed me of those first 4.5", so I suppose it would only be a matter of time before I was correcting for that as well.

After the surgery I will need reading glasses for sure and may need glasses for that all important mid range too (dinner plate, close personal conversation, computer, handbag, etc). The surgeon is going to try under-correcting my non-dominant eye to leave me good vision in the mid range. If I'm unhappy with the result at any time in the next two years I can ask him to do a minor correction for no extra charge (but requiring another recovery period).

I think you'd love weaving too. I do pretty much every fibre art that I've ever had the good luck to be introduced to.

Marlene said...

I do really, really love it Martha. I've noticed that the space from the front beam to the heddles is a bit shorter, necessitating more frequent advancing of the warp, but rolling the warp forward is so easy on this loom that I don't find it a problem.

No, the surgery is not to remove cataracts, though that might have been a blessing since it would be paid for by medical in that case. Surgery to totally replace the corneas, like is done for cataract patients, would actually be preferable and give me better results (especially with multifocal lens implants) but that surgery is expensive. It's about 3 times the cost of the Lasik I'll be having done.

My surgery is totally for vision correction. Certain options that are available for younger patients are not an option for me. Lasik won't make everything perfect but it should be a huge improvement. One thing it can't correct for is a very large, dark attached floater that impairs the vision in my right eye. At times it is very distracting and annoying but there is nothing that can be done about it. It's an inner eye issue and surgery is not done inside the eye unless you have other medical issues that make such invasive surgery absolutely necessary (such as detached retina).

Gene Black said...

i am happy to see that you got the loom assembled and are loving it. Congrats on qualifying for Lasik.