Translate

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Sharing a Technique

The Saori Mug Rugs (coasters) turned out so nicely that I thought I'd share my technique with my readers.

I started with some handwoven fabric and this fusible fleece commonly used to create body and strength in quilted or sewn handbags and totes.

Fusible Fleece

  1. Cut fusible fleece to desired size minus the fringe, then fuse it to the back of the weaving.
  2. Machine zigzag around the edge of the fleece.
  3. Cut around the mug rug 1/4" beyond the outside edge of the zigzag stitching. 
  4. Unravel the weaving back to the zigzag stitching on all 4 sides creating a fringe. 


Here's a close up of the back with it's zigzag stitching.

Mug Rug back edge


And the finished "mug rugs". 

Hand woven "mug rugs"


1 comment:

Gene Black said...

Thanks! I had never seen black fusible fleece. I am thinking that this would work well for place mats also.