Translate

Monday, January 21, 2008

Masters Monday 2.4

Swatch 4 - K1P1 ribbing (with a seam)....again. This time I'm much happier with the result. Although it might look like it's half a stitch off in places, the seam is done bar-for-bar correctly with no fudging to make the ends match.



I found I got the best results by having a knit stitch at each selvedge to be seamed. I knit the strip on the right ending with a k2 to accomplish this and still keep the k1p1 pattern intact across the seam. I'm going to hand this one in, but before I use the seam in an actual garment I would like to do some further experimenting to see if it would work with a tubular cast on and bind off.

Who am I kidding? In actual "real life" knitting (unless there was a really good reason for a seam) I would most likely convert the pattern to knitting the garment in one piece to avoid the seam altogether!

7 comments:

Jen in FL said...

whew! it looks great to me!! not for the first time do I wish we lived closer to each other so I could hang with you and acquire some of those knitting skillz.... Hah...

Nancy said...

Looks terrific.

Dave said...

Eh, the best kind of seam .. a non-seam.

Knit Witch said...

Amen to that! Your seam looks great though! I'm getting ready to go pull the pins out of my swatches - wish me luck!

Sharon in Surrey said...

Yup, I agree with you!! Whenever I can, I knit in the round!!! But, it looks great!!

PJ said...

speaking of which..I wish my seams in the rounds were better..any hints?

Marlene said...

I don't understand PJ, when you are knitting in the round there are no seams.