Translate

Sunday, July 03, 2016

Biased

Even though Saori garments usually do not receive any special seam finishing techniques, lining, or facings, I have decided to use bias binding on a Saori vest I am creating. I will use the binding to finish the edges of the armholes and outer edges, pulling them to the inside like a faux-facing, and also to bind the seams on the inside of the vest in a "Hong Kong finish".


Making bias binding.


I've only created handmade bias binding a couple of times so I had no idea how much fabric to start with to create all of the bias binding I will need for this task. Not wanting to run short I decided, with inexpensive fabric, it was best to overestimate and I started with one full meter.

Making bias binding.


Using this tutorial I ended up with 16 meters of 2 1/2" bias tape! Yup, pretty sure I'll have enough.





4 comments:

MarthaVA said...

Cool! I can't wait to see how this turns out!
Martha

Gene Black said...

Cool idea. Sadly the link takes me to a yahoo results page so I can't tell which tutorial you used.

Laurice said...

This is the same idea I've had rumbling in my brain. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished garment with your beautiful weaving. I've been lacking motivation this summer so glad you are on a roll.
Laurice

Marlene said...

Oh. Sorry about that Gene. I should always check my links before publishing. I've made it much easier for everyone now but embedding the exact video I used. I watched a few different ones but this was the easiest for me to understand and follow along.

I worked on it a bit yesterday Laurice and I must say I'm really happy with the look! The binding, with its floral pops of colour on a black background really goes well with the handwoven fabric. Rather than detracting from the overall appearance I think it adds something. I'll be wanting to show off the inside!